Server Status
Ventrilo Status
Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zulalynn
Admin
web_Elite

re: A tale of 2 towers, by Zul

I put this here in the "general-chat tab", since, very few are registered and active, so it goes.

There are always forks in the roads you travel.

Choices have to made, some good some bad. Maybe, if you're lucky, you get 50% right.

During the build-out of the prime Guild Nextus, it became apparent that a social guild couldn't also be a raiding guild. I realize that I was in denial for a long time, perhaps too long.

One night, I came to the conclusion (as I did numerous times before) that my desire was to see a guild grow.

If you don't help and friend players, they have no loyalty to you or the guild.

Yes, it is just a game, and sure you maybe pay for it, and likewise it is your time. However, consider this, why join a guild then?

It is not, what can we do for you, it is however, what can you do for us?

Zul_

"No matter where you go -there you are..."
Debratt
Core_mbr
a real Poster

I think there might be something to do with SWTOR also, and what they have allowed to happen.

When you can play the game, mostly solo, why run with other people?  Several of us have become friends through the guild, and so run together, but even within the guild most of the new people don't talk, or leave to go raid/PVP,  as that is not our focus.

I know i'm not an outgoing person, and typically do play for the most solo, so i don't group up with random players and meet new people to invite to the guild.  It is even more difficult when most our characters are high end 55 - and usually by the time people are to 55 they have guilds they already have their characters in.  If we don't play the lower characters, we don't have the interaction with the new players as much, without going and sitting on a lower level planet.

I can see where PVP would be highly guild driven, as a group of people would work together to improve the PVP of the game together, but even the PVP in SWTOR isn't built to be very oriented towards keeping groups of people together, ei...guild bonuses, etc.

I don't PVP, so i can't really say that for certain, but that's kind of what i've come to view it also, so any other inside from the PVP'rs is fine.

Just my 2 cents.

web_Asset

Let me start by saying that one of the reasons i joined the guild is i love meeting new people that i can connect with and play with. I hate playing alone but at the same time i hate group finder because you always have that one person that is, well, a total @$$. I love the guild because you guys and gals rock. You all are always so friendly and i enjoy the time that i do get to play online plus it is something that both me and Fred can play together (as soon as we get settled good and get the other PC back to working good again.) I wish that this would have been around when Fred was in Iraq, it would have been a great way for us to stay in touch then.

But as far as Nextus Prime goes, We had a blast while everything was going good but with the raiding part, i knew that when we started to go "hard core" that would not last long. No guild that is social can survive hard core for long unless it was hard core to start with and then certain standards had to be put into place for it. 

Also with the content being stale at the moment, people left the game and will probably come back with the new expansion. but that is how most games work. Once they have done it all and seen it all, you  can only run a FP or OP so many times before it becomes a mundane thing to do. 

As far as PVP goes, i do play it but with PVP, you do make some friends but for the most part, it is a luck of the draw for who you get matched with. And that is what sucks about it (unless you form your own group and queue up. Then you get hagged by the other team for being O.P. or trolling) I personally enjoy PvP but some maps i despise with a passion. 

I do love helping people in game when i can. I try to at least. One thing that i have noticed in game a lot is trolls and Good Lord they are everywhere. In general chat when someone asks a question, they get ragged on hard. I usually send that person a private message and try to help them when i can and it ticks me off to see people in the game get ragged on so hard but that is life and games. 

Overall, i think that we still have a great guild and great people in it and it has been a pleasure getting to know each and every one of you all. I think of a guild as family. You spend time with them, talk to them, heck even share life stories with them. There are times that even family have little spats and that is part of life. but one thing is for certain, you never turn your back on family and you stick up for them and help them anyway you can. And you all know that whenever i am online, i can always help, you just have to give me a holla and let me know. 

Zulalynn
Admin
web_Elite

Nicely put, both of you = thanks.

Zul_

gershom99
Officer
web_N00b

re: uh oh, court martial.

Hi,  Seems I faded away from swtor.  Oops.  Hope I can get back in Guild's good graces.  Read the posts, sorry

to hear Banth's problems with the govt.  Hope all is good now.  All the observations were as Zul said, well said.

When I first joined guild was very happy with the friendly attitude of folks.  Is a shame that uber competitiveness

of "hard core raiding" does seem to wind up turning on itself in some kind of self destructive way.  Also, sad the folks that troll and etc.

I never seemed to be on at the right times consistently enough to make a nice contribution to guild that I 

would have liked, but never mind.

I hope to have time and will to keep logging my inquisitor, as the game has decent functionality and content is

good for some laughs.

Best wishes to all who are in guild and would be nice to catch up with you some evening soon.  Will be on Spiekk.

the formerknownasJubahthewut?

:)

Core_mbr
web_Asset

Thanks Jubbah. Yeah everything is going smoothly again. Just got to make a few phone calls tomorrow to get everyone up to speed on the progress of the move and watch (heck maybe even help out) as they tear the old house to the ground. and now with kids in school all day, i have more free time, (IF i can EVER get through Mt. WashMore, tons and tons of laundry that HAVE to be washed or thrown out due to a lot of reasons and are sitting in big black bags in the shop as i go through them)  But anyways i am just worried that i will start to get behind on the expansion stuff once it comes out. I am ITCHING to get back online and play again as i now i have missed a lot of stuff inculding Bounty week this week. But i WILL be back. I am planning a toon rotation either this evening or tomorrow as to update the status of my and Fred's toons. Not to mention getting the other PC fixed. Yeah that has been more of a pain than it is worth but we WILL be back. 

Zulalynn
Admin
web_Elite

re: we digress...

From my point of view, the "tale of two towers", is respective to the rise of Nextus and Dark Nextus.

During the progression of all of that, I realized that I needed good guild officers to keep going what I had put into motion. It worked well for a bit.

There is always a juncture, where you have to decide which road to follow, the reasons, motivations, etc. are irrelevant.

The towers grew at their own rate.

One grew too large & fell over.

Zul_

gershom99
Officer
web_N00b

re: Intewesting

Vwey nice metaphor for Nextus Prime.  The tower that grew too tall and fell over.  Good one.  Or, is it a simile?  

Metaphor or simile?  Hmmm.  I can't remember the difference.  Oh, well off to be an evil sith that keeps making

good choices.

J

web_Elite

It was a metaphor, in that I was making a reference, instead of a comparison (like as).

Zul_

syphen1986
Raid_Leader
web_Member

re: Popped into to say hello!

Hey all I just popped in to say hello, and was reading what all has been gong on with everyone miss you guys ;). But as Christine said I have had other stuff to do and the content in swotor grew extremely stale for my play style im a raider through and through, and they didn't add much in that department. And Z asked me to play wow with her so that was where I went, but after Warlords gets old and I finish the end game on my mage and protection pally ill probably try the new revans patch out here on swotor.

Also I had life things to do for example million mask march was on November the 5th so been doing stuff like that supporting peoples stand against government corruption and keeping up face.

But there's  always a but lol, I wanted to reply on this post because what zul said was true that he wanted a social guild but then also wanted a big guild you cant exactly have both. People tend to when looking for guilds now and days want to be in top guild want to do end game content pvp and pve and want the best gear so they can be competitive in both its kinda like a sport. but when you have a social guild you can offer the friendly not so hard core atmosphere kinda laid back and more for story-mode content just recently left a guild in wow like that :P lol didn't schedule raids no body talked etc...not interested....Then when you form a hardcore guild you have to be more strict more straight forward not so friendly and present more then the other players and have to consistently keep face. Like a supervisor or manager(hence why the raid commander position must be approached more like a job) 

But to answer the question of how do you get back a big guild its all about the people you would need outgoing friendly non judgmental helpful people to help it was always about the people you just need a few social people to consistently get onto vent and continually talk bring up subjects etc then have those people keep telling people to hop on vent then keep talking then more and more will join. But people are usually shy about talking or getting onto vent so you need something to get them to force themselves to get onto vent with those social people that talk a lot and that trickery :) lol is the raids people want to do raids so if you tell them there not going to get a description of fights unless they get into vent cause your a slow typer ;) lmao well it works wonders lol 

I have now been leading raids in wow getting into mythic content etc before WoD comes out and notice this funny thing you tell people there is a raid going on people that are not online all week seem to pop out of nowhere and people start hopping onto vent etc.

Also I wanted to add that with the disdain that happened between nextus and the mutineers they would have spread bad rep on that server so as zul said as long as those people are still playing the light-side nextus on Jedi covenant is stuck between a rock and a hard place unless you have a couple people in the guild that are extremely funny social etc that can get people to do things like raids FP's talk on vent etc or talk in chat even but it seems there are no more hardcore raiders left in nextus to get them to join vent so chat would probably be the best. 

To put what i am saying into perspective. Here is a HYPOTHETICAL situation.... If I was brand new to swotor just starting fresh and i seen all the guilds out there and what they have to offer nextus would not be a choice in that category. Remember that's hypothetical because i made close friends in nextus, and nextus is where i will return when Warlords of draenor content gets stale. But that scenario I gave is the same question you all should ask yourselves when asking what is wrong with the guild its really that you know to much and have experienced to much. Now forget everything you know and everything that has happened in the game then pretend you are coming to swotor for the very first time look at all the guilds and think if you where brand new would you choose nextus? Social is not really my thing, can I be social yes can I communicate efficiently yes can I lead yes but that's not really what I want I am a competitive player who needs gear and must continue to improve my skills and my character. And raiding with a guild is more laid back well is suppose to be, For example this is my first time tanking raids in wow and I prefer to run them with the guild because people are dicks if you run it pug or looking for raid feature (it really sucks love the raids hate the people) so telling people that want to raid that there free to pug without ever offering to run raids ever, even just the easy story-mode versions is kinda a huge slap in the face lol 

The point behind that paragraph though, is even if nextus isn't tainted anymore the actions of nobody constantly being on and asking questions. Asking if people need help will cause it to not go well having social people that seem to have formed a click will make others want to join that click and will join into conversations etc and having an occasional story-mode raid even though its a social guild will get alot more people into it you don't have to be all hardcore just trying to provide people with gear, experience, and a social comfortable environment. So they don't have to feel so stressed around pugs. I didn't mind being around pugs because I am a social person and i like to gain rep and i wasn't afraid of what they said because at a certain point you know your class so I wasn't afraid. The reason i don't feel comfortable in wow is because that is my first time tanking on wow and its a little different then swotor so I would prefer to do it with the guild. So picture if I had the same conundrum in nextus well it dosn't offer me that opportunity which then sets a mood for disdain then i would either have 2 choices bite the bullet and pug or join a guild that will offer me that experience. 

One more thing you might wanna try to see what happens if you start a guild on another server just to see what happens which ever server has all the end game guilds(content-first guilds) in it preferably that's where all your skilled players like myself will be at. 

Just a few things to ponder from a old friend. I miss you all ill be back on the game eventually ;) when swotor learns to add more ops and more gear lol 

Thanks 

Syphen Angelium Obelisk

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Guild Alliance
User Recognition
Countdown
Latest Blog Posts